Windows to Linux Migration
neel s Gurjar
2005-02-27 07:15:10 UTC
Hi, all i have some querries please see down

Queries :
We are Planning to migrate from Windows to Linux Platform.Currently we are having two departments with below hardware and software configurations. We seek your guidance for this migration process. We will be very grateful if you can help us out in this pr
We seek your guidance on following queries :-
1. Can you please suggest us which flavour of linux is suitable for each department depending upon software used by them? We have tried Suse 9.0 and RedHat 9.0 & Federo Core 3.
2. Can you please suggest us qually efficient linux based compatible softwares for below given softwares ?
3. Also we are looking for Diskless Networking (dumb client and HDD shared on server) for above 2 departments. Can you please suggest us which networking configuraton (hardware and software) is best suited. Kindly note that Department 2 is using Desktop P
4. As we are very much new to Linux environment, the linux flavour which we will choose should also have good online support available where we can ask our questions and get the results quickly.
5. Also our users are very much familiar to windows environment, so the softwares on linux which we will choose should be user friendly and GUI based.
6. Also those softwares should be tried, tested and stable so as we would not face any problem in future.

Department -1
Current Configuration
Hardware Software
15 Machines MS Excel
C.P.U. - 200 to 300 Mhz Tally
RAM – 32 to 64 MB MS Access
HDD – 10 to 40 GB Developed Programs in Visual Basic
Stand Alone Systems and No Server

Department – 2
Current Configuration
Hardware Software
10 Machines Pagemaker 5.0 and 6.5
C.P.U. - 200 Mhz. To 1.7Ghz Devnagri Fonts Software
RAM – 32 to 256 MB Photoshop
HDD – 10 to 40 GB
Stand Alone Systems and No Server

Please reply
neel
Satya
2005-02-27 17:31:13 UTC
Post by neel s Gurjar
1. Can you please suggest us which flavour of linux is suitable for each department depending upon software used by them? We have tried Suse 9.0 and RedHat 9.0 & Federo Core 3.
How about Debian stable with security updates?
Post by neel s Gurjar
2. Can you please suggest us qually efficient linux based compatible softwares for below given softwares ?
For some, there are no exact requirements. You know when most users ask
for "something like software X" they actually mean "exactly ike software
X, I don't want to change anything". So, when Openoffice doesn't look
and feel like MSOffice, users complain. Of course, Openoffice could be
exactly like MSOffice, but then it'd get slammed by look-and-feel
lawsuits. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Post by neel s Gurjar
3. Also we are looking for Diskless Networking (dumb client and HDD shared on server) for above 2 departments. Can you please suggest us which networking configuraton (hardware and software) is best suited. Kindly note that Department 2 is using Desktop P
I'm thinking tftp, but I don't know much about it.
Post by neel s Gurjar
4. As we are very much new to Linux environment, the linux flavour which we will choose should also have good online support available where we can ask our questions and get the results quickly.
Hmm, you may want Redhat if you want paid support. Then again, Debian
has plenty of online help, and users who use it.
Post by neel s Gurjar
6. Also those softwares should be tried, tested and stable so as we would not face any problem in future.
As long as you have regular updates, it'll be fine. Without regular
updates, you're asking for the impossible.
Post by neel s Gurjar
Hardware Software
15 Machines MS Excel
C.P.U. - 200 to 300 Mhz Tally
RAM ? 32 to 64 MB MS Access
HDD ? 10 to 40 GB Developed Programs in Visual Basic
Stand Alone Systems and No Server
Screw the hardware. Excel => Openoffice (see above), Tally => avsap?,
Access => MySQL with phpmyadmin, Developed programs in VB => ? eh? your
VB programs *might* work with Wine.
Post by neel s Gurjar
10 Machines Pagemaker 5.0 and 6.5
C.P.U. - 200 Mhz. To 1.7Ghz Devnagri Fonts Software
RAM ? 32 to 256 MB Photoshop
HDD ? 10 to 40 GB
I don't know what Pagemaker does. Instead of listing software, why not
present your real requirements? As we say, "what is the problem you're
trying to solve?"

Devanagri fonts are available on Linux.

You can use Gimp instead of Photoshop.
Post by neel s Gurjar
Please reply
I don't want to.
--
Satya. http://www.thesatya.com/
Murphy was an optimist.
Saswata Banerjee & Associates
2005-02-27 17:16:58 UTC
Post by neel s Gurjar
Hi, all i have some querries please see down
We are Planning to migrate from Windows to Linux Platform.Currently we are having two departments with below hardware and software configurations. We seek your guidance for this migration process. We will be very grateful if you can help us out in this pr
We seek your guidance on following queries :-
1. Can you please suggest us which flavour of linux is suitable for each department depending upon software used by them? We have tried Suse 9.0 and RedHat 9.0 & Federo Core 3.
Personally, I prefer Suse to Redhat any day. Suse 9.2 Professional is
the best option you have. You can also get an official copy at very
little cost from Novell. I believe they have support too. FC3 is what
some of my friends swear by, but I have not really seen it. Both SUSE
9.2 and FC3 support devnagiri fonts. RedHat, unfortunately, support even
for paid versions is close to pathetic (based on comments from our clients).
Post by neel s Gurjar
2. Can you please suggest us qually efficient linux based compatible softwares for below given softwares ?
3. Also we are looking for Diskless Networking (dumb client and HDD shared on server) for above 2 departments. Can you please suggest us which networking configuraton (hardware and software) is best suited. Kindly note that Department 2 is using Desktop P
We have set up a proof of concept setup using LTSP at our clients office
at nariman point. 1 PIII 700 based server (actually one of our old pcs
converted to server in Linux), 5 pcs, all Pentium 1 75mhz to 200mhz
range, 16MB ram each connected on the network. Each PC runs off the
server, using OpenOffice, Firefox. When work starts, we plan to use
Thunderbird as email client. We have run all pcs at same time, graphics
is bad due to old hardware, but good enough for normal office working.
We have loaded ck-erp (payroll, accounting, HR, Inventory, etc) , sugar
crm and obm (calandering / scheduling) softwares which are being tested
to decide which of them will be used in future for all the work
Post by neel s Gurjar
4. As we are very much new to Linux environment, the linux flavour which we will choose should also have good online support available where we can ask our questions and get the results quickly.
5. Also our users are very much familiar to windows environment, so the softwares on linux which we will choose should be user friendly and GUI based.
6. Also those softwares should be tried, tested and stable so as we would not face any problem in future.
Department -1
Current Configuration
Hardware Software
15 Machines MS Excel
C.P.U. - 200 to 300 Mhz Tally
RAM – 32 to 64 MB MS Access
HDD – 10 to 40 GB Developed Programs in Visual Basic
Stand Alone Systems and No Server
I assume all pcs are Pentium Is. Then you need a powerful PC to use as
server.
You can do away with all the HDDs, move one or two of the large HDDs to
the server (depending on total data requirement).
Excel - replace with Open Office 1.9, there is hardly any difference

MS Access - No direct replacement. But most of the work you do on tally
can be moved to Excel or a combination of MySQL and some management
tools. In any case, MSAccess is no longer a viable platform even in
windows. I will need more details on what you do on MSAccess to go on
with this, but it is likely that what you use it for can be done by
server based software like ck-erp, obm, etc.

Tally is a major problem. There is no cure for that except to move to a
Linux bases accounting software. In any case, tally is highly dangerous
to use in a corporate environment as it allows all kinds of
manipulation. During audit, we always qualify reports where Tally is
being used. We have moved many of our clients out of Tally.

All programs developed on Visual Basic will have to be rewritten on
Linux. This is a reason why many companies have not moved out of
propriotary softwares. If the programs are in Visual Basic .Net then you
have some hopes by moving to Mono, but VB6 is just stuck there.

I would suggest that you identify which people need to use VB software
and dont migrate them in the first stage. In second stage, perhaps you
can have a Win3K server with remote desktop client running on Linux to
give access to the VB Software. We worked that succssfully in an office
with 75+ users.
Post by neel s Gurjar
Department – 2
Current Configuration
Hardware Software
10 Machines Pagemaker 5.0 and 6.5
C.P.U. - 200 Mhz. To 1.7Ghz Devnagri Fonts Software
RAM – 32 to 256 MB Photoshop
HDD – 10 to 40 GB
Stand Alone Systems and No Server
Pagemaker and photoshop can be replaced by good Linux software. I forgot
what it is called, but it is already present in all distros. My friends
in graphic design tell me that it is better than photoshop
Post by neel s Gurjar
Please reply
neel
komal
2005-02-28 05:23:53 UTC
Post by Saswata Banerjee & Associates
Pagemaker and photoshop can be replaced by good Linux software. I forgot
what it is called, but it is already present in all distros. My friends
in graphic design tell me that it is better than photoshop
It is called GIMP,Scribus and InkScape.No GIMP is not better than Photoshop.

http://software.newsforge.com/software/05/02/24/1818224.shtml?tid=131

Komal
Kenneth Gonsalves
2005-02-28 03:54:04 UTC
should be user friendly and GUI based. 6. Also those softwares
should be tried, tested and stable so as we would not face any
problem in future.
for ppl used to windoze, the best alternative is mandrake10.1.
Mandrake also has the best support for indic computing of all linux
distros. For dtp - the gimp + inkscape + scribus is recommended. In
place of excel - open office calc. access can be replaced by
postgresql with pgadmin or phppgadmin as a front end. Also can be
accessed with open office calc through odbc. Tally could be upgraded
to a customised version of avsap. Thin clients are available in
droves in linux - so not a problem
--
regards
kg

http://www.livejournal.com/users/lawgon
tally ho! http://avsap.sourceforge.net
ಇಂಡ್ಲಿನಕ್ಸ வாழ்க!
Joe Steeve
2005-02-28 06:22:32 UTC
Post by neel s Gurjar
1. Can you please suggest us which flavour of linux is suitable
for each department depending upon software used by them? We
have tried Suse 9.0 and RedHat 9.0 & Federo Core 3.
Debian. It is stable, and its easier to manage in a networked
installation.
Post by neel s Gurjar
3. Also we are looking for Diskless Networking (dumb client and
HDD shared on server) for above 2 departments. Can you please
suggest us which networking configuraton (hardware and software)
is best suited. Kindly note that Department 2 is using Desktop P
If you want a completely dumb-terminal like setup, use LTSP (Linux
Terminal Server Project). If you just want a file server., use
AFS+Kerberos. It'll be a good replacement for a Netware like
environment. NFS should be easier to setup, but there are security
issues.
Post by neel s Gurjar
4. As we are very much new to Linux environment, the linux
flavour which we will choose should also have good online
support available where we can ask our questions and get the
results quickly.
Though this approach is good, I'd suggest you hire somebody to
help you in the long run.
Post by neel s Gurjar
5. Also our users are very much familiar to windows environment,
so the softwares on linux which we will choose should be user
friendly and GUI based.
The GUI is different from Windows. Though some distributions give
a exacty Windowz like look-and-feel, they have their own
problems. The new GNOME/KDE desktops have a good gui. It'll be a
very small learning curve to get used to this GUI., but that curve
wont be tedious. Just needs a 2 hour session.
Post by neel s Gurjar
6. Also those softwares should be tried, tested and stable so as
we would not face any problem in future.
Debian is known for stability.
Post by neel s Gurjar
Software
MS Excel --> OpenOffice has a equivalent tool. Or you can use
Gnumeric

Tally --> One member on this list has developed a tool called
avsap., you can try that. Or I think you can customize GNUCash for
the purpose. But I'm not sure how different each of them are from
`tally`.

MS Access --> I heard the yet to be released Open Office has a
similar tool. But on GNU/Linux MySQL is the preferred
database. However, it depends on what you use Access for.

Developed Programs in Visual Basic --> You'll have to run these on
Wine. But I'm not sure whether Wine will be able to. And, recently
there is talk about some legal issues regarding running W32 apps
on Wine.

Pagemaker 5.0 and 6.5 --> If you've been using this for publishing
kinda work., you'll have to use LaTeX. However, LaTeX has a steep
learning curve. There are some GUI based tools to act as front
ends for LaTeX. But if you are using Pagemaker just for getting
out PDF/PS documents, you can use OpenOffice's Wordprocessor. It
has PDF output feature. LaTeX is a professional approach, but
OpenOffice can get things done.

Devnagri Fonts Software --> You get the fonts for both LaTeX and
for OpenOffice.

Photoshop --> Use the GIMP. Again, the user interface is slightly
different., even terminology. But a experienced Photoshop user
should easily figure out the equivalent nuances on the GIMP.

Above all, I recommend that you hire somebody to help you in the
migration process and to give preliminary training.
--
.O. A proud GNU user
..O http://www.joesteeve.tk/
OOO http://joe.bsdnerds.org/
Satya
2005-02-28 18:22:42 UTC
Post by Joe Steeve
Though this approach is good, I'd suggest you hire somebody to
help you in the long run.
Absolutely. Did you build the office building yourself? Stop trying to
admin the servers if you're not a sysadmin!
Post by Joe Steeve
MS Access --> I heard the yet to be released Open Office has a
What? Openoffice has been available for a long time.
--
Satya. http://www.thesatya.com/
It's Ensign Flintstone - he's Fred, Jim.
Joe Steeve
2005-03-01 06:20:00 UTC
Post by Satya
Post by Joe Steeve
MS Access --> I heard the yet to be released Open Office has a
What? Openoffice has been available for a long time.
I meant the new release of OpenOffice.org that is yet to be
released.
--
.O. A proud GNU user
..O http://www.joesteeve.tk/
OOO http://joe.bsdnerds.org/
Dinesh Shah
2005-03-01 14:08:34 UTC
Hello Mr. Gurjar,

Here is long mail and may be beginners guide to Migration and Change
Management.
Post by neel s Gurjar
Hi, all i have some querries please see down
We are Planning to migrate from Windows to Linux Platform.Currently we are having
two departments with below hardware and software configurations. We seek your
guidance for this migration process. We will be very grateful if you can help us
out in this pr
We seek your guidance on following queries :-
Before you go head long into this, please consider following.

1. Have you created Vision Document?

2. Have you enrolled Management / Decision Makers into this Vision?

3. Have you done Risk Analyses?

A. Lose of Users Productivity

B. Disruption in normal business activity

C. Availability / Non-availability of Applications, Vendor Support

D. Technological Change management related issues

E. Availability of Technical and Non-Technical Manpower?

4. Have you presented Risk Analyses to Management?

5. Have created Objectives and Goals?

6. Have you created Migration / Implementation Plan?

7. Have you created contingency Plan?

8. Have you Enrolled Users into you Vision and Plan?

9. Have you formulated User Training Plan?

If the answer to any of the questions is NO then please consider
dropping the whole IDEA of Migration.

If the answers to the all of the above questions are YES then consider
taking following steps.

If you really want to move to GNU/Linux Desktop, you must ask few
questions to yourself and your users. These answers will help you
understand the needs of your organisation and help you in charting and
planning the right course of action.

Here are the few of the questions.

1. Why are we moving to GNU/Linux Desktop?

2. What will be the cost implications in terms of acquisition, training,
support, maintenance and upgrades for Hardware and software over the
period of 3 to 5 years?

3. Do we have trained manpower to train end users and support GNU/Linux
Desktops and Servers?

4. Does GNU/Linux Desktops has all the applications required by users?

5. Will this cause any inter-operable and data exchange issues with
internal users, Vendors, Partners and Customers?

6. Are we going to maintain heterogeneous OS environment?

7. Do we have any special/custom applications which is not available on
GNU/Linux Desktop?

8. Do we have User, Information and Security Policies in place?

Also, get following info from the users.

1. Which office application suite you are using?
2. Which Internet Browser you are using?
3. Which e-Mail Client you are using?
4. Which Instant Messaging/Chat Client(s) you are using?
5. Are you using any other or special application(s)?
6. How do you share and exchange files and data with your colleagues,
vendors, partners and customers?
7. What are the common file types you deal with? File types like
Documents, Spreadsheets, Presentations, Graphics and Pictures etc.?
8. What is your level of adaptability to new Operating Environment?
9. Will you be comfortable in using something new and different?
10. Will it affect your productivity and performance? How?
11. Are you comfortable in paper based office communication? Or are you
comfortable in electronic office communication? Which one would you
prefer more? Why?

If the above sound to be too much get external consultants to help you.

Better still, don't do this WITHOUT having external consultants.

Remember, the problem is not the Technology. The problem is people and
their mindset.

What you need the most is CHANGE MANAGEMENT.
Post by neel s Gurjar
Please reply
neel
Hope this will help you and other in managing the Migration from one
technology to any other technology.

With regards,
--
--Dinesh Shah :-)
<***@ShahMicro.com>
+91-98213-11906
Kenneth Gonsalves
2005-03-02 01:42:25 UTC
Post by Dinesh Shah
Before you go head long into this, please consider following.
in my opinion, this is an overengineered solution which will never
work. The way to go is incremental changes. Start small with one or
two machines, see how it goes. Experiment with various set ups and
software. If it goes fine, expand. Keep the old running and
progressively migrate to the new.

the easiest thing to shift is the mail-internet proxy server. Set up a
linux box side by side with the old windoze, and when comfortable
shift to it. Then do one desktop. then next

ಇಂಡ್ಲಿನಕ್ಸ வாழ்க!
Vinayakam Murugan
2005-03-02 04:42:58 UTC
Post by Kenneth Gonsalves
Post by Dinesh Shah
Before you go head long into this, please consider following.
in my opinion, this is an overengineered solution which will never
work. The way to go is incremental changes. Start small with one or
two machines, see how it goes. Experiment with various set ups and
software. If it goes fine, expand. Keep the old running and
progressively migrate to the new.
True. But doing the detailed analysis first would definitely help. The
implementation can be in phases. But then some people believe in
reducing the number of cigarettes in phases till null whereas some
believe in abstaining totally from day one. :-)
--
Warm Regards
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vinayak
Kenneth Gonsalves
2005-03-02 05:30:28 UTC
Post by Vinayakam Murugan
Post by Kenneth Gonsalves
Post by Dinesh Shah
Before you go head long into this, please consider following.
in my opinion, this is an overengineered solution which will
never work. The way to go is incremental changes. Start small
with one or two machines, see how it goes. Experiment with
various set ups and software. If it goes fine, expand. Keep the
old running and progressively migrate to the new.
True. But doing the detailed analysis first would definitely help.
The implementation can be in phases. But then some people believe
in reducing the number of cigarettes in phases till null whereas
some believe in abstaining totally from day one. :-)
the real bottleneck for the OP is in the dtp stuff. Inkscape is not
corel draw, scribus is not pagemaker and the gimp is not photoshop.
The devnagri fonts available in unicode are also few. He has to first
set up a machine with all of this and see if it fulfills his dtp
needs. The rest - mail, office etc are tried and tested in linux and
if he uses a newbie friendly distro like mandrake he should have not
problem.
Post by Vinayakam Murugan
The implementation can be in phases. But then some people believe
in reducing the number of cigarettes in phases till null whereas
some believe in abstaining totally from day one. :-)
this analogy doesnt apply

ಇಂಡ್ಲಿನಕ್ಸ வாழ்க!
Vinayakam Murugan
2005-03-02 06:08:50 UTC
Post by Kenneth Gonsalves
this analogy doesnt apply
On a lighter note , IMHO it applies to a great extent. (Cigarettes and WIndows)

1) Both are harmful and expensive addictions.
2) People transitioning from both, experience withdrawal symptoms and
a lot of temptations ( Snazzy looking software, games) ,etc.
3) Majority of the people would have experienced it at one point or the other.
4) There are fanatical groups who protest against their usage.

:-)
--
Warm Regards
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vinayak
Kenneth Gonsalves
2005-03-02 07:17:14 UTC
Post by Vinayakam Murugan
Post by Kenneth Gonsalves
this analogy doesnt apply
On a lighter note , IMHO it applies to a great extent. (Cigarettes and WIndows)
1) Both are harmful and expensive addictions.
2) People transitioning from both, experience withdrawal symptoms
and a lot of temptations ( Snazzy looking software, games) ,etc. 3)
Majority of the people would have experienced it at one point or
the other. 4) There are fanatical groups who protest against their
usage.
again i would submit that the analogy is false. In one case
(windoze-linux) you are talking migration from one addiction to
another, and in the other case (ciggys) you are talking giving up
totally.

Giving up an addiction totally can only be done at one shot and
forever. Migration *should* be done incrementally and as painlessly
as possible.

ಇಂಡ್ಲಿನಕ್ಸ வாழ்க!
Dinesh Shah
2005-03-03 07:46:52 UTC
Hi Kenneth,
Post by Kenneth Gonsalves
in my opinion, this is an overengineered solution which will never
work. The way to go is incremental changes. Start small with one or
two machines, see how it goes. Experiment with various set ups and
software. If it goes fine, expand. Keep the old running and
progressively migrate to the new.
At 1st it does look like a bit of work, but needs to be done
nevertheless. If one doesn't answer the questions now, one will have to
answer those questions later.

Sooner is always better then later. :-)
Post by Kenneth Gonsalves
the easiest thing to shift is the mail-internet proxy server. Set up a
linux box side by side with the old windoze, and when comfortable
shift to it. Then do one desktop. then next
It would be best to have a concrete plan and road map in place. This
document can be useful in measuring your progress and prevents needless
fight with the management.

After all one has to take of once job and GNU/Linux's image. :-D
Post by Kenneth Gonsalves
regards
kg
Additional inputs are always welcome.
With regards,
--
--Dinesh Shah :-)
<***@ShahMicro.com>
+91-98213-11906
Kenneth Gonsalves
2005-03-03 08:04:41 UTC
Post by Dinesh Shah
Post by Kenneth Gonsalves
the easiest thing to shift is the mail-internet proxy server. Set
up a linux box side by side with the old windoze, and when
comfortable shift to it. Then do one desktop. then next
It would be best to have a concrete plan and road map in place.
This document can be useful in measuring your progress and prevents
needless fight with the management.
apparently the OP doesnt have much clue about linux, so in order to
make his plan and road map it would be better if he experiments with
a couple of boxes, especially the dtp stuff

ಇಂಡ್ಲಿನಕ್ಸ வாழ்க!
Amish Munshi
2005-03-01 19:17:59 UTC
Post by neel s Gurjar
Hi, all i have some querries please see down
All technical, physological queries can be solved provided you can
answer two questions.

1. How much will I save and when? (The when is important, Migration
requires investments, its not immidiate magic).
2. What is the reason for my organisation to move?

If you are satisfied with your answer, then refer to these following 2
URL's for desktop migration.
http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/2294.html
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg246380.pdf

Process of Migration has to be a phased migration, else you are inviting
disaster. For small/medium businesses a comprehensive POC might work
instead of a pilot.

Amish.
Amol Hatwar
2005-03-03 04:42:04 UTC
*chop*
Post by Dinesh Shah
If the above sound to be too much get external consultants to help you.
Better still, don't do this WITHOUT having external consultants.
Remember, the problem is not the Technology. The problem is people and
their mindset.
What you need the most is CHANGE MANAGEMENT.
All the points are pretty valid and need to paid particular attention to in
a small-medium sized business.

I think if one elaborates all the points, it can serve as a good how-to for
small-medium businesses. What say Mr Dinesh?

Warm wishes,

ah
Dinesh Shah
2005-03-03 07:36:34 UTC
Hi Amol,
Post by Amol Hatwar
All the points are pretty valid and need to paid particular attention to in
a small-medium sized business.
Why only SMEs? Why not large Enterprises?
Post by Amol Hatwar
I think if one elaborates all the points, it can serve as a good how-to for
small-medium businesses. What say Mr Dinesh?
I will try to elaborate as many points as possible to develop this into
a complete how-to. Let me see when can I start. Also, inputs from the
community is also important.
Post by Amol Hatwar
Warm wishes,
ah
With regards,
--
--Dinesh Shah :-)
<***@ShahMicro.com>
+91-98213-11906
Amish Munshi
2005-03-03 12:43:08 UTC
Post by Dinesh Shah
I will try to elaborate as many points as possible to develop this into
a complete how-to. Let me see when can I start. Also, inputs from the
community is also important.
There are some excellent reference materials already available from
Novell and IBM for Desktop migration. Do utilize them if possible. I had
sent the URL's to the list as a reply to this thread earlier.

Amish.
Dinesh Shah
2005-03-03 14:06:39 UTC
Hi Amish,
Post by Amish Munshi
Post by Dinesh Shah
I will try to elaborate as many points as possible to develop this into
a complete how-to. Let me see when can I start. Also, inputs from the
community is also important.
There are some excellent reference materials already available from
Novell and IBM for Desktop migration. Do utilize them if possible. I had
sent the URL's to the list as a reply to this thread earlier.
That's nice idea. I will go through those links. That may possibly give
me some hint for developing the how-to. :-)
Post by Amish Munshi
Amish.
With regards,
--
--Dinesh Shah
MicroWorld
Amol Hatwar
2005-03-03 09:20:06 UTC
Post by Dinesh Shah
Post by Amol Hatwar
a small-medium sized business.
Why only SMEs? Why not large Enterprises?
[ah] The large enterprises that I know of *want* to live in a heterogeneous
environment. Most probably because managers don't know how to work anything
except PowerPoint...
Post by Dinesh Shah
Post by Amol Hatwar
small-medium businesses. What say Mr Dinesh?
I will try to elaborate as many points as possible to develop this into
a complete how-to. Let me see when can I start. Also, inputs from the
community is also important.
True. I'd love to help in preparing the how to.

Regards,

ah
Amol Hatwar
2005-03-03 14:40:11 UTC
Post by Dinesh Shah
Post by Amish Munshi
There are some excellent reference materials already available from
Novell and IBM for Desktop migration. Do utilize them if possible. I had
sent the URL's to the list as a reply to this thread earlier.
That's nice idea. I will go through those links. That may possibly give
me some hint for developing the how-to. :-)
[ah] Why not set up a wiki for this? Then everyone will be able to
contribute...

Regards,

ah
Amol Hatwar
2005-03-04 02:17:55 UTC
Good morning all,

I thought it would be best to capture ideas when they are fresh... so I set
up a wiki page where people interested in contributing to a new Windows->
GNU/Linux howto can share experiences and collaborate.

Here's the link: http://hatwar.org/wiki/doku.php?id=wiki:gnumigrate

After the document is done, I suggest we format it into a nice HTML/PS/PDF
and host it on our Website... perhaps ibiblio with proper credits as well.

Warm wishes,

ah
Kenneth Gonsalves

ಇಂಡ್ಲಿನಕ್ಸ வாழ்க!
Kenneth Gonsalves
2005-03-04 04:20:31 UTC
Post by Amol Hatwar
Good morning all,
I thought it would be best to capture ideas when they are fresh...
so I set up a wiki page where people interested in contributing to
a new Windows-> GNU/Linux howto can share experiences and
collaborate.
Here's the link: http://hatwar.org/wiki/doku.php?id=wiki:gnumigrate
a suggestion - the lists could be formatted using the numbered list
syntax, that way we can insert new items easily. Also some mechanism
to login before editing - the wiki is now wide open ... or at least a
mechanism to know who has made the edit

ಇಂಡ್ಲಿನಕ್ಸ வாழ்க!
Amol Hatwar
2005-03-04 04:33:23 UTC
Post by Kenneth Gonsalves
Post by Amol Hatwar
I thought it would be best to capture ideas when they are fresh...
so I set up a wiki page where people interested in contributing to
a new Windows-> GNU/Linux howto can share experiences and
collaborate.
Here's the link: http://hatwar.org/wiki/doku.php?id=wiki:gnumigrate
a suggestion - the lists could be formatted using the numbered list
syntax, that way we can insert new items easily. Also some mechanism
to login before editing - the wiki is now wide open ... or at least a
mechanism to know who has made the edit
Yes... I just did a dump, it can be formatted in a better fashion. Yeah it
is wide-open... but see all logs are maintained... I can easily revert to an
earlier version.

A mechanism for knowing who has made the edit: please put your name and what
you did in the Edit Summary box. It's that simple :).

Anyways, I am glad someone had a look.

Regards,

ah
Kenneth Gonsalves
2005-03-04 04:43:25 UTC
Post by Amol Hatwar
Yes... I just did a dump, it can be formatted in a better fashion.
Yeah it is wide-open... but see all logs are maintained... I can
easily revert to an earlier version.
shall i format it?

ಇಂಡ್ಲಿನಕ್ಸ வாழ்க!
Kenneth Gonsalves
2005-03-04 04:45:10 UTC
Post by Amol Hatwar
A mechanism for knowing who has made the edit: please put your name
and what you did in the Edit Summary box. It's that simple :).
didnt notice that - the only other wiki experience i had made this
compulsory

ಇಂಡ್ಲಿನಕ್ಸ வாழ்க!
Amol Hatwar
2005-03-04 05:45:56 UTC
Post by Kenneth Gonsalves
shall i format it?
Do you even need to ask? :)

Regards,

ah
Kenneth Gonsalves
2005-03-04 06:29:44 UTC
Philip Tellis
2005-03-04 06:38:14 UTC
Post by Amol Hatwar
A mechanism for knowing who has made the edit: please put your name
and what you did in the Edit Summary box. It's that simple :).
What stops me from using your name? There are many people out there
who'd want to change information pretending to be someone else.
Amol Hatwar
2005-03-04 07:51:35 UTC
Post by Philip Tellis
Post by Amol Hatwar
A mechanism for knowing who has made the edit: please put your name
and what you did in the Edit Summary box. It's that simple :).
What stops me from using your name? There are many people out there
who'd want to change information pretending to be someone else.
Go on... give me some credit :).

Regards,

ah