[ILUG-BOM] debian : with closed drivers : any particular variant?
Mayuresh Kathe
2018-11-19 06:17:29 UTC
hi,

i installed debian 9 on my laptop and it isn't supporting the wifi
sub-system.
i tried minimal-install of fedora 29 and the wifi is supported but
remains unconfigured.
so basically, the wifi drivers do exist under linux, just not under
stock debian.

is there any particular variant of debian (other than ubuntu and
derivates) i should try out to check if it would support wifi networking
under my laptop?

thanks,

~mayuresh
Dhruva lokegaonkar
Mayuresh Kathe
Rajeev R. K.
2018-11-19 08:57:02 UTC
Post by Mayuresh Kathe
it's a r8169 on a lenovo thinkpad e470 (i5 model).
The r8169 driver supports multiple chipsets. Please share your pci
vendor/device id, so we can identify the exact chipset. Also, check the
contents of /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/ and look for the various rtl8xxx
firmwares.

Thanks and Regards

R. K. Rajeev
Ph : +91-9323802020
Mayuresh Kathe
2018-11-19 10:01:48 UTC
Post by Rajeev R. K.
Post by Mayuresh Kathe
it's a r8169 on a lenovo thinkpad e470 (i5 model).
The r8169 driver supports multiple chipsets. Please share your pci
vendor/device id, so we can identify the exact chipset. Also, check the
contents of /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/ and look for the various rtl8xxx
firmwares.
i ended up running ubuntu 18.04.

the last line of `lspci` gives the following;
05:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless
Network Adapter (rev 31)

i guess i was wrong, it isn't a r8169.

~mayuresh
L. Guruprasad
2018-11-19 14:18:28 UTC
Mayuresh,
Post by Mayuresh Kathe
i ended up running ubuntu 18.04.
the last line of `lspci` gives the following;
05:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless
Network Adapter (rev 31)
i guess i was wrong, it isn't a r8169.
The firmware-atheros non-free package
(https://packages.debian.org/stretch/firmware-atheros) should contain
the drivers/blobs needed for your Wi-Fi adapter. If you have network
connectivity, you can just enable the non-free section and install the
package.

The default Debian ISO doesn't ship with non-free firmware/driver blobs
any more. But there are unofficial ISO images provided by the project
which contain those built-in. See
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/9.6.0+nonfree/.
So you can also use these ISO images.

Thanks & Regards,
Guruprasad
Mayuresh Kathe
2018-11-19 16:35:02 UTC
Post by L. Guruprasad
Post by Mayuresh Kathe
i ended up running ubuntu 18.04.
the last line of `lspci` gives the following;
05:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless
Network Adapter (rev 31)
i guess i was wrong, it isn't a r8169.
The firmware-atheros non-free package
(https://packages.debian.org/stretch/firmware-atheros) should contain
the drivers/blobs needed for your Wi-Fi adapter. If you have network
connectivity, you can just enable the non-free section and install the
package.
The default Debian ISO doesn't ship with non-free firmware/driver blobs
any more. But there are unofficial ISO images provided by the project
which contain those built-in. See
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/9.6.0+nonfree/.
So you can also use these ISO images.
thanks for that guruprasad, appreciate your mail.

~mayuresh
Rony Bill
2018-11-19 09:18:10 UTC
--
You have to Google for the drivers based on the laptop model. Someone
somewhere must have done it.

Regards,
Rony.